By: Nathan Bloechl — firstname.lastname@example.org
Humboldt, Iowa — The Humboldt Wildcat baseball team may have been one-and-done in the Class 3A playoffs, but their efforts did not go unnoticed in the North Central Conference.
The Wildcats had two first-team All-NCC selections, three second-teamers and one third-teamer good for six total.
First Team All-NCC
- Reese DeWinter, 3B/P – Junior
- .366 average, eight doubles, three triples, sixteen runs scored, team-high twenty-seven RBI. DeWinter also walked twelve times and struck out just eight. 5-for-5 stealing bases. Appeared in six games on the bump, going 2-0 in 24 1/3 innings, with a 2.01 ERA.
- Devon Clark, UTIL – Senior
- Team-high .436 average, nine doubles, one triple, one home run, twenty-three runs batted in, slugged .585. Scored 34 runs. Started nine games and compiled 4-2 record. Sported a 2.33 ERA. Pitched 45 innings and struck out 39 batters.
Second Team All-NCC
- Isaac Thurm, C – Junior
- Collected a team-high 35 walks in the lead-off role. His .468 on-base percentage was the second-highest on the team. Drove in fifteen runs, while doubling five times. Caught twelve runners trying to steal bases this season.
- Owen Newton, 1B – Sophomore
- Belted a team-high two home runs and drove in 24 runs. Hit .341 to go along with nine doubles. Scored 21 runs and walked twelve times. Was by hit by the pitch a whopping thirteen times. Appeared in ten games on the mound. 3-4, 4.64 ERA. Worked 34 2/3 innings, striking out 32.
- Hudson Gargano, OF – Sophomore
- Surged to a late season hot-streak. Batted .279 on the season and scored 18 runs. Drove in 20, doubling three times and scoring one triple. 8-for-9 stealing bases. Batted .320 from June 14th to the end of the season, reaching base safely in all but two contests during that stretch.
Third Team All-NCC
- Joey Busse, UTIL – Sophomore
- Batted .330 while shuffling up and down Jason Thurm’s line-up. Doubled five times and drove home twenty runs. Scored twenty-three runs of his own, while walking 13 times and striking out nine. Pitched to a 1-1 record in limited innings. 2.47 ERA. Struck out six batters in his four appearances.