Microwave catches fire causing Taft Elementary evacuation Monday afternoon

By: Matt Scher, [email protected]

Humboldt, IA – A microwave that caught fire prompted first responders to arrive at Taft Elementary School Monday afternoon in Humboldt.

According to Taft Elementary School Principal Ryan Fedders, at approximately 12:11 p.m. Monday, a microwave malfunction in the northwest corner of the building caused smoke to gather in the hallways of the school.

Clayton Vorland of the Humboldt Fire Department detailed the department’s course of action on scene.

According to Vorland, no one was treated for smoke inhalation and everyone was evacuated out of the building safely. School resumed shortly after the 30-minute incident response when officials deemed it safe to do so, with ongoing ventilation of the school building for the rest of the day to clear smoke. On scene in the multi-agency effort were members of the Humboldt Fire Department, Humboldt Ambulance, Humboldt Police Department, Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office, and Humboldt County EMA.